This message is from: "Debby" <miss.am...@earthlink.net>

After suspecting my Amber was cushings through the summer, especially with
this last clipping and her hair on her legs, ugh....research and having been
through the IR with my Herbie this past year,  I took her and had blood work
done.  Not the suppression test.  With the way she looked, her "mom" having
it, we chose to do reg. blood work up, and do thyroid and cortisol level.
Everything looked pretty good, thyroid was good, cortisol was very high, so we
opted to not do the suppression test and order the meds for her.  Theres just
an ever so slight risk with the suppression test.  I wish I'd known more about
this cotisol test for my Herbie.  I know over this last year, I'd had him to
three different vets, all said  he wasn't Cushings, didn't look Cushings.  I
knew I didn't want to do the suppression test with him, not with him having
laminitus, but if I'd known there was a cortisol test, I'd have done it...Its
cheap and I think it would have told us to put him on this med.  I'm not
saying it would have fixed him, he wasn't going to get fixed.  But I wonder if
he'd at least been not dealing with laminitus so much, and could have been
without pain.   I know if I ever have one with chronic laminitus, I'll do that
test, even if they don't look Cushings.  The hair isn't the only thing.
Well, lessons hard learned.
Fingers crossed for my Amber, she's 20yrs. this year.
Debby in Tx