> ... and if that's the case, then I'd like to see those
> decisionmakers defend it in open debate.
>
> But it's difficult for me to see intentional discrimination
> as the root cause... doesn't match up with what I see of
> people here. The DNA is towards global participation, so I
> suspect there are real constraints in the way of flat pricing.
>
> I've still got the action item to keep pressing for public
> explanations about why software companies show such similar
> disparities across regions. Such a mystery does no-one any
> good. The ZDNet/CNET articles today likely caught org-wide
> attention, so I've got some more ammo this week.... ;-)

This is not exactly a mystery. Software - like any other product - is priced
the way it is to maximize profits. International price discrimination, like
any other price discrimination, exists because vendors believe that they can
identify distinct market segments, and charge the price that will maximize
their profits within that segment. In addition, vendors may have different
business costs in different countries; even with electronic distribution,
there are costs involved in having local sales and support offices, currency
exchange, legal compliance costs, etc, etc.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Price_discrimination
http://www.joelonsoftware.com/articles/CamelsandRubberDuckies.html

However, this is not the appropriate place for this discussion, I think.

Dave Watts, CTO, Fig Leaf Software
http://www.figleaf.com/

This email has been processed by SmoothZap - www.smoothwall.net