Mike Reilly wrote:
I think we're on the same path Roy.  While I have some future coders,
this is Intro for 9th-11th grade kids, so my task is to teach but also
whet their appetite for more.  My deeper desire is to do it as OO as
possible, to better prepare them for AP Comp Sci if they choose.

I used to be the Co-Director of TechBoston up there in Boston, wish I
were closer. I'm in Georgia now.

If you're interested in doing more of an OO spin, let me know and I'll
keep you in the loop.

There is no reason not to follow OOP principles to the hilt. You have all of the essential structures in ActionScript. You might also try to explain MVC and show how this helps simplify programming. MVC and OOP will give your students a really good way to get a lot done with a little bit of code.

Some of the Heads Up Design Patterns examples are fun and designed to appeal to the 14 year old in all of us. (How does your duck quack? What if it is a rubber duck?)

Ron

Thanks!

Mike