Yes, you can load Flash 8 made .swfs into Flex, you just can't directly
interact with any code inside of them except by using External Interface
or perhaps local connection.

Jason Merrill
Bank of America
GT&O L&LD Solutions Design & Development
eTools & Multimedia

Bank of America Flash Platform Developer Community