Thanks, Jan.

This leads me to another question. I think I'd try it myself before asking,
but just have no dev machine at hand right now.
So,
when I embed *symbols* from flash 8 library like this:
    [Embed(source="flash8.swf", symbol="SymbolALinkageID"]
    private var symbolAClass:Class;

can this symbol contain enclosed (child) movieclips?
And can I then access these child clips?

In other words, should I create a special class file(s) only to list the
embed-var statements like the one above
OR
I can just embed one "container" mc symbol ?

Yes, I need only the graphics from these symbols (this is FLA used for prev.
version of the app.

On Jan 18, 2008 1:12 PM, Ian Thomas <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> However, you _can_ use symbols from the library of a Flash 8 SWF directly
> in
> an AS3 app and have them translated at compile time.
>
> You embed the symbols (instead of the whole SWF) like so:
>  [Embed(source="flash8.swf", symbol="SymbolALinkageID"]
>  private var symbolAClass:Class;
>
>  [Embed(source="flash8.swf", symbol="SymbolBLinkageID"]
>  private var symbolBClass:Class;
>
> Now when you create an instance of symbolAClass using new symbolAClass(),
> you are actually getting a MovieClip that's completely compatible with
> Flash
> 9. If the symbol had any Flash 8 code on it, this will have been stripped
> by
> the compile process and ignored - but if all you're trying to do is load a
> bunch of frames of graphics produced with Flash 8 and using them in a
> Flash
> 9 movie, it works perfectly.
>
> In short - embed/compile the whole Flash 8 movie, your app thinks it's an
> old SWF file and treats it as an AVM1 MovieClip. Embed/compile each symbol
> seperately, Flash 9 treats each one as an AVM2 MovieClip.
>
> Hope that's helpful,
>   Ian

Best regards,
GregoryN