Hello,

I have to put my 2 cents in with regard to security. Open source is safer; for, I can scrutinize every line of code without having to jump through hoops.

If there is an issue with open source in the enterprise, this is usually caused by licensing factors, not security. (BS intellectual property copyright/patent issues.)

Open source equates to progress, and although this create avenues for competition, competition is healthy for the marketplace and helps to keep costs down.

Thank you,
Anthony

Merrill, Jason wrote:
Dave, I'm really growing weary of this thread, I see we're not on the
same side of the issue, and that isn't going to change, but I do have to
respond to one last thing you said:

So I'm at least aware of security issues within the enterprise. None
of these things should be that big of a hurdle for you.

Well, "should" is different than "is".  I think you are missing that
point - the "what you think the situation SHOULD be", vs. the reality of
our security measures. I am not the one who decides if open source
software is considered a higher security risk (though I still agree that
it is, based on the points I raised, but I also love the stuff, I use
FlashDevelop daily for example).  So reality is, it is perceived as a
higher security risk in our enterprise, and I cannot change that fact.
I have other issues with open source like the article mentioned, like
poor customer support and service plans, but that is another issue
altogether and unrelated to this discussion. Also, I used to work in DC
for a government contractor too, 5 years, worked with many agencies, and
I am familiar with how they work.

This is my last post on the subject, thanks,

Jason Merrill Bank of America Global Learning Shared Services Solutions Development
Monthly meetings on the Adobe Flash platform for rich media experiences
- join the Bank of America Flash Platform Community