Yes, it's the same back-end used by Flex Builder, if I'm not mistaken. Fdb
is indeed almost unusable without a GUI, unless you're a command line freak
and a bit of a masochist, IMO (and you never tried a "visual" debugger).

The idea of integrating a GUI for fdb into FlashDevelop has been
mentioned in the FD forum a number of times. I don't know the current status
of this feature, though. Last time I checked (about 6 or 7 months), it was
on the wish list, but I couldn't find any info on its status. I hope they
manage to get it working. It'd be awesome.

Cheers
Juan Pablo Califano