From: flashcoders-boun...@chattyfig.figleaf.com
[mailto:flashcoders-boun...@chattyfig.figleaf.com] On Behalf Of Matt
Gitchell
Sent: Wednesday, August 12, 2009 11:57 AM
To: Flash Coders List
Subject: Re: [Flashcoders] mac vs pc

"Anyone who has spent any serious time with it knows that it isn't an
option."
Oh come now, don't be ridiculous. I used FlashDevelop in a work setting
for
a year or two, and have switched to FDT (Mac). FlashDevelop is indeed a
great tool, but I think FDT edges it out. There are a couple features
that
FlashDevelop has that FDT doesn't, but overall FDT has better
refactoring,
better code completion, better debugging tools, and enforces better
syntax.
There are indeed a few aspects of code writing that are better in
FlashDevelop, but on a project level I feel FDT is a far superior tool.
haven't touched Flex Builder in a couple years, so I'll leave that out.
I would preface all
this by saying that I almost gave up in the middle of switching to
FDT, but am very happy that I stuck it out;
I think once you stop trying to do things the way FlashDevelop did them
specifically it's much less frustrating.

A quick example:
if you type "var _blah:Sprite = new Sprite()" in a function in
FlashDevelop,
you can right-click and promote that to a class-level private var.
I was frustrated such a simple thing didn't exist in FDT, but then
discovered that you can type (_blah = new Sprite()), hit CMD-1 on _blah,
and
then it gives you the same option to create the class-level variable. A
small example, but still indicative of the pain of switching.

After finding those features that 'moved' when I switched to FDT, I've
never
thought "Gosh, I sure miss FlashDevelop."

I would also mention that the last time I use FlashDevelop was in
January,
so maybe they've turned it into God's own IDE since then.

But then again, I'm kind of retarded.

--Matt

On Tue, Aug 11, 2009 at 3:40 PM, Steven Sacks
<flash...@stevensacks.net>wrote:

> My home computer is a Windows XP box.
>
> My last full-time job was a Mac-only shop.  So, I used Mac every day,
5
> days a week, for 10 months.
>
> Within a few weeks, I realized I couldn't live without FlashDevelop. I
> installed Parallels 3 with Windows XP and figured out how to use
> FlashDevelop in my workflow there.
>
> I *love* Expose and Spaces.  However, they are easier to live without
than
> FlashDevelop.  FDT and FlexBuilder both suck ass as Actionscript
editors
> compared to FlashDevelop.
>
> I cannot live without FlashDevelop.  Period.  Anyone who has spent any
> serious time with it knows that it isn't an option.  The day they get
it
> working on the Mac is the day Flex Builder (ahem, Flash Builder) sales
see a
> significant drop.  The only reason so many people buy Flex Builder for
Mac