I have created a game in AS3 that uses the "SPACE" bar on the keyboard to
make the character jump. I have encountered a problem whereby pressing the
"SPACE" bar causes a button on my game screen to be clicked.

I read up that setting buttonMode to false would fix this but it does not
seem to like me using this property on my button.

i.e I tried gameMenuBtn.buttonMode = false;

but here is the error message:

1119: Access of possibly undefined property buttonMode through a reference
with static type flash.display:SimpleButton.

My button is a custom button I have created and not a button from the
components library i.e I just selected a graphic and converted to a symbol
and choose "Button".

Any ideas how to prevent this button being clicked by the "SPACE" bar being
pressed? I could change the key for jumping but feel that the "SPACE" bar is
the standard one used for this.

Thanks

Paul