So the performance gains will end up in AS3, sometime:

http://labs.adobe.com/wiki/index.php/Alchemy:FAQ

"Why can't the ActionScript compiler generate byte code that executes as quickly as Alchemy?

Compiling with LLVM tools (included as part of Alchemy) allows compile and link time optimizations to be applied that the ActionScript compiler does not use as yet. In addition, for operations involving ByteArrays there are opcodes that are optimized for performance, which the ActionScript compiler does not generate today.

The Alchemy team is working closely with the Flash Player and compiler teams, and Adobe expects that many if not all of the performance improvements from Alchemy will find their way into the shipping compilers and players."

John

Meinte van't Kruis wrote:
I was also thinking in the lines of alchemy, and the amazing stuff people
pull of using that.
Seeing the whole apparat project of Joa Ebert or the stuff Nicolas Cannasse
pulls off...

When reading about that, I think a bit of a c++ or even assembler knowledge
would've
helped a great deal, since I'm playing with alchemy a bit myself now as
well.

I realise that stuff isn't found in the average Flash project, allthough I
did work in a project
not too long ago where they are implementing some alchemy to speed things
up.