Joa Ebert's apparat can be found here:
http://blog.joa-ebert.com/2009/08/11/apparat-is-now-open-source/
<http://blog.joa-ebert.com/2009/08/11/apparat-is-now-open-source/>As far as
Cannassa is concerned, he is best known for Haxe, which uses alchemy opcodes
here and
there(with his flash.memory implementation, but I'm no haxe expert), here is
the url:
http://ncannasse.fr/blog/virtual_memory_api

Offcourse it all still runs in the same Flash sandbox, I believe the
performance gains are basically due to
the fact that alchemy compiled code can do memory access faster by using
opcodes which arent
available in AS3 (don't ask me why). Anyway, I'm no expert, but a bit of it
is explained here:

http://ncannasse.fr/blog/adobe_alchemy

On Wed, Jan 6, 2010 at 12:19 PM, John McCormack <j...@easypeasy.co.uk>wrote:

> Meinte van't Kruis wrote:
>
>> Seeing the whole apparat project of Joa Ebert or the stuff Nicolas
>> Cannasse
>>

> Are their projects available to see?
>
>  implementing some alchemy to speed things up.
>>

> As far as I understand it, the C++ code is still converted into Flash's
> byte codes, so any performance gain must have been from the algorithms in
> the C++ code.
>
> How much difference did it make?
>
> John

>>> LOL, I have yet to write one and I have yet to use any techniques from my
>>> assembler or C++ days. In most cases Flash provides more than adequate
>>> responsiveness with very little special care.
>>>
>>> The top of the priority list is a user experience that makes the client
>>> happy and performance and responsiveness has yet to be a deciding issue.
>>>
>>> The most challenging responsiveness issue I have had has been parsing
>>> large
>>> text files for data (several megabytes in size) using AS2 while keeping a
>>> visualisation animating smoothly and preventing script time-outs. It was
>>> very much the rare exception.
>>>
>>> I realise that for some people manipulating large numbers of animated
>>> clips
>>> or sprites, performance could be an issue, but I think such applications
>>> of
>>> flash aren't the mainstream.
>>>
>>> Paul

Meinte van't Kruis

Freelance Flash Platform Dev (mxml,actionscript,flex,air)

malatze
http://www.malatze.com/
http://www.linkedin.com/in/meinte
mei...@malatze.com