alchemy is only good if you don't need to pass information back and forth
from AS3 to C alot of times.
So for instance, you would want to keep processing as long as you can within
alchemy, before passing
it back to AS3. A good example is JPEG encoding (and decoding done by
ByteArray.org), where alot
of processing can be done by alchemy before passing the encoded data back to
flash, example:

http://segfaultlabs.com/blog/post/asynchronous-jpeg-encoding

here you can also compare the time it takes native code and alchemy.

but anyway.. getting a bit off-topic..