Yeh - not sure this will help

however - a (very talented) colleague of mine worked on a simple speech
recognition software for mobile - it was built to recognise about 20 commands
with 90% success rate.

His approach (in my simplistic terms) was:

1) get recordings / audio samples of the commands (in your case vowels - it
should be easier as it's generated so you wont have to compare against too
many/different intonations ) -
2) create / store a graph of the audio commands ( this used FFT (s) - to
abstract and simplify, the pattern of the commands - the result was a square
voice print graph )
3) The stored patterns/voiceprints were then compared against the users voice
recording.

The trickiest part of this whole business were the Fast Fourier Transforms -
these things get very complicated, and confuse the life out of me. Anyway,
hopefully this
will help you - seems like it might be the best approach. if you do crack it -
you will end up with a simple voice recognition system. Which would be a
brilliant and useful thing bit of code to
have...

hope this was of any use..

- karim