Ya - I have the data for both things, but they extend over time and are
difficult to compare. It's the boiling down the signatures into something
simple and being able to read the playing audio looking for the match (or
near match). I thought about using bitmap data and trying to match up
waveforms, etc. but I don't know enough about it to pull that off. It seems
like a hack in a way, but if it worked, who cares I suppose.

On Thu, Jun 3, 2010 at 3:31 PM, Juan Pablo Califano <
califa010.flashcod...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm not Henrik, but I've done some lip-synch stuff for Disney. We did
> it pretty much the way Eric described--we just used amplitude. It's
> not as accurate as Disney would demand on a film, but it's ok in the
> kids' game market.
>

> I see, amplitudes could be just good enough for some stuff.
>
> Although the "speed" and the intensitiy of the speech could give misleading
> results, I think. I'm under the impression that you should somehow try to
> compare the shape of the waves (somehow simplifiy your input to some value
> of sets of values that are easier to compare, possibly in a "time window")
> and compare it in some meaningful way to precalculated samples to find a
> matching pattern. That's the part I have no clue about!
>
> Cheers
> Juan Pablo Califano
>
> 2010/6/3 Kerry Thompson <al...@cyberiantiger.biz>
>
> > Juan Pablo Califano wrote:
> >
> > > Wow. That was really uncalled for.
> >
> > That was my reaction, too. I didn't see Eric as complaining--just
> > asking. Maybe Henrik was just having a bad day.
> >
> > > For me, the hard part, which you seem to imply is rather simple here,
> is
> > > *matching+ the input audio against said profiles. Admitedly, I don't
> know
> > > anything about digital signal processing and audio programming in
> > general,
> > > but "matching" sounds a bit vague. Perhaps you could enlighten us, I
> you
> > > feel like.
> >
> > I'm not Henrik, but I've done some lip-synch stuff for Disney. We did
> > it pretty much the way Eric described--we just used amplitude. It's
> > not as accurate as Disney would demand on a film, but it's ok in the
> > kids' game market.
> >
> > Doing something more accurate would probably involve at least 6 mouth
> > positions, and if you're doing it in real time, you'd have to do a
> > reverse FFT. It can be done--there was a really good commercial
> > lip-synch program that generated Action Script to control mouth
> > positions. I don't know if it's still around--that was 5 years ago,
> > and it was pretty expensive (about $2,500 for one seat, I think). It
> > may even have been a Director Xtra that worked with a Flash Sprite,
> > but let's not talk about Director :-P
> >
> > Cordially,
> >
> > Kerry Thompson

http://ericd.net