Maybe you could try a different approach.

Although it's not 100% authoritative, the http referrer of the http request
made to get your swf could help here. This is data sent by the client (the
browser in this case), and might not even be sent to the server, but in
almost every case, it is.

So, you can check your server's log and filter out requests for your swf. In
Apache, at least, the referrer will be logged by default.

A little twist to the former could be serving your swf from a server side
script. If you are using php, this is quite easy. Instead of giving your
users a link to your swf, tell them to link to
yourserver.com/your_widget.php. This php file will read and store the
referrer and then just return the swf (a simple redirect to your swf will do
it).

Cheers
Juan Pablo Califano