I hadn't considered that, thanks.  I changed my xmlns:model to
xmlns:mdl, and things worked fine - for a while.

Now I get that same verify error, but in an completely different piece
of code, and all the code is in the same ActionScript file.

While initializing a web service, I have the following code:
webService.addEventListener(FaultEvent.FAULT,
                            ServiceFactory.faultHandler);
webService.loadAllApplications.addEventListener(ResultEvent.RESULT,
                                                loadAllXmlHandler);
webService.loadAllApplications.resultFormat= "e4x";
webService.loadApplication.addEventListener(ResultEvent.RESULT,
                                           loadApplicationXmlHandler);
webService.loadApplication.resultFormat = "e4x";
webService.saveSplitApplication.addEventListener(ResultEvent.RESULT,
                                                 saveXmlHandler);
webService.saveSplitApplication.resultFormat="e4x";
webService.deleteApplication.addEventListener(ResultEvent.RESULT,
                                              deleteHandler);
webService.deleteApplication.resultFormat="e4x";

Later in the same file I have:
public function deleteHandler(event:ResultEvent):void {
    deleteApplicationCallback();
}

Seems simple enough, but I get that retister 5 error when the event
dispatcher tries to call my listener.  The first 3 lines of the stack
trace are:
at com.pinnacol.sane.service::ApplicationServiceSoap/deleteHandler()
at flash.events::EventDispatcher/dispatchEventFunction()
at flash.events::EventDispatcher/dispatchEvent()

The interesting thing to me is that the other 3 handlers work
perfectly.  Only this one causes me any issues.  One thing I have
noticed about the error is that there always seems to be a Web Service
involved when I get it - even when I had the model tags, the problem
went away when I replaced my service layer with mocks.

Any ideas?

Steve