I seem to be pretty good at doing things that shouldn't be doable }:-)

A quick search of the project directory reveals only 2 swf files:
sane.swf (my project), and playerProductInstall.swf (don't know where
this comes from).  I get the same behavior in FlexBuilder 3
standalone, and the FlexBuilder 3 eclipse plugin.  I've even tried
running the swf outside eclipse.  Always the same result.

Being new to Flex, I'd say that calling functions in a way not
expected is VERY likely.

Here is a basic explanation of what I'm trying to do:
I have an mxml page that has a data grid of role objects. Roles have
Role-Function mappings in another part of the role page, and I've
encapsulated the Role-Function mapping in a second mxml file.  Each
mxml file has a tag declaring the ActionScript model that backs the
page.  In the role page, there is a preinitialize property in the
role-function tag that sets the role-function's role model property.
In the role-function page, there is a creationComplete property that
calls an initialize function, which in turn calls the
rollModel.addObserver method, passing in the role-function model.

The point of all of this is to have the role-function model update
whenever the role model updates in response to the user selecting a
role in the data grid.

In the debugger, I can see that neither model is null at the time of
the call, but I get the register 5 problem every time.  I'm working on
stripping out the extraneous stuff from my code, and I can post a
better explanation (including whether or not the problem persists),
when I'm done.

Steve