I don't think the problem is the graduates, per say, but the
curriculum and what is taught at many schools.

  I just lucked out, in that my college had a curriculum geared to teach
programming concepts, not geared to teach a language.

  You walk away with a very different skill set when you're taught about
encapsulation principles than if you're taught how to create a class in
Java or C++.

--
Jeffry Houser
Flex, ColdFusion, AIR