Obligatory disclaimers: Individualism trumps generalities; I am a CS
graduate and am probably biased.
I think what is learned in a good CS curriculum is very important.  (We can
argue over the definition of good later.)  I also think that same
information can be learned on the job, although it often isn't, especially
if there's no mentor there to teach the science side of computer science.
>From within my own company, I can report that the guy educated with an
engineering slant is great at designing (software) systems, but isn't the
best coder or application designer.  The self-taught individuals who (have
been there longer than I have) are great coders, better than I am, but
they're not great at design and architecture.  They are intelligent and do
pick up concepts very quickly when they are taught them.  This obviously
shows that you don't need a degree to learn.
I'm not going to attempt to judge myself.  But I will say that I have needed
the CS degree for the work I have done. Then again maybe most flex
developers aren't inventing their own scripting languages in applications
that need be continually extended.  Also (a little OT), I have needed to
learn about 5 languages in the past year and a half.  I think being taught
to think like a computer scientist is what has allowed me to do this well.
So if I were advising someone on a hire (and I'm going to start looking for
a new hire next week so someone please show me I'm wrong before then if I
am), I'd advise to hire the person you need.  If you need a computer
scientist, get one.  It'll be harder to find a self taught computer
scientist, but they are our there and if they have more experience than a
trained one, don't give the degree extra weight.  If you need a coder to
write one-offs, I'd care less about the formal knowledge and skills and more
about the proven ability to do the job.
I'm sure there are thoughts I've missed or failed to explain correctly and I
join Simon in hoping this has in no way offended anyone.

- Dan Freiman