I agree with this one here. I went to school for a few semesters, after
looking around for a year. I signed up for 4 programming classes. In those
classes, all I learned was the different languages. PhP, CFML, c++, and more
HTML. At the end of the semester, I looked for more upper level classes.
However, turns out that those were upper level. In fact, they never offered
c#, let alone asp.net until this semester. What ended up happening, is
getting a job and started working with ActionScript, and c#. Next thing I
know, I am building an application for my company that was ordered by people
that I don't even know their names. Ever been to the field museum sight? The
3d walk though was my first every attempt at a real OOP program for
production. (Dun laugh...:P) It took me 3 weeks to build, including
revisions. Funny how someone thinks their way is best, then they ask the
official UI guy.(Who agreed with me, but thats another story.) :P

I am still considering school, and am actively learning Japanese so that I
can go to school over there. I figure, If i am going to do it, I might as
well go somewhere I want to.

Right now I am actively learning the Flex3 framework, and trying to advance
my skills with actuarial design. One huge thing that i believe in, and agree
with is that any talent is a good talent. However a talent that can have
multiple applications is just that much better. Which in turn you can see
that in my code. I reuse everything, from managers to interfaces. I try to
make the entire framework into a whole new set of classes. If that is
possible. I put errors everywhere, comments in every method.

I have meet a lot of CS degreed (new word :O) people in recent months, and
they all have pretty much the same gloomy outlook on life as they did in
college. They are burned out, or they just don't care enough. Making them
lazy, which in turns makes for bad code. Of course, there are exceptions.
Like every other profession. You can go to school to be a salesman. However
if you are an anti social, or you don't know how to sale...How do you think
you will perform?

All in all, I am sure a CS degree will surly help. However, when it still
comes to it, the person needs to be interested.

--
-Joe