----- Original Message -----
From: "b_alen" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <flexcoders@yahoogroups.com>
Sent: Wednesday, February 20, 2008 7:41 AM
Subject: [flexcoders] Re: do you need CS Degree to get a job?

> No matter what everybody's saying, I'm finding a huge difference
> between developers with formal education and those self thought. I
> would definitely suggest you to take some courses at least, not just
> for getting a job, but to get the knowledge you'll find valuable quite
> often. There is a reason why Universities exist.

I would second that, though I think there is a split in the Flash/Flex
world.

Some employers are focussed on disposable projects that require flair but
less formal technical skill. These people are less interested in formal CS
education, they are focussed on quick results.

Other employers will be focussed on more formal development of more
sophisticated software and will be more interested in seeing that applicants
have a background/training/experience that is aligned to more sophisticated
and structured development.

As others have said, how you come across at interview, coupled with your
work will always be the most important thing regardless of your education.
For roles where a more formal approach to development is required, a
computer science degree is a big, big help.

Paul