I'm bowing out of this discussion. Things have gotten far too polarized and
nit-picky.

However, I still feel it is worthwhile to at least chime in one more time
because I think some of the points raised here leave developers with wrong
and dangerous information. The overall opinion that you don't need to worry
about re-using your source code from other clients' projects is simply
false, and has the potential to get you into a lot of legal trouble. If you
find yourself copying code from work you did for a previous client, please
please go back and re-read the contract you signed, and be sure that you
properly understand what you're doing and the legal implications. When it
comes to these issues it is always better to err on the side of caution.
I'll stop giving my opinion on what's right or wrong, and just say that as a
developer, you need to have a thorough understanding of IP law before you go
down that road, so read up and please don't rely on mailing lists for legal
advice :)

Doug