I'm not against spinning off "remoting" ie LCDS, Blaze, SOAP, REST etc into
another group, but like others I think the mix of vets and noobs is a good
thing.

As for inbox management, here's what I do that works for me (gmail btw):

All messages from the list go straight into "archive", not my inbox

All threads I've posted to get a star with a mail filter

Any threads I'm interested in, I star.

When I come to see a large number of unread threads from the list, I open
any unread messages in starred threads. Then I scan the remaining unread
subjects for anything that I might be able to help with, or that I might
like to know the answer to - I open messages, and either reply or star them
if I'm interested / I can help.

Anything else, I simply "mark read" and move on. I don't need to read every
message, and neither do you. There's a fair few people here who are willing
to help, and we're on different time zones. I don't think many reasonable
questions are being overlooked.

During the day, the list is low-enough traffic that I can see 5 - 10
messages at a time, and I just open anything that looks remotely interesting
or I think I can probably help with, and "mark read" the rest.

When there's just too many damned new messages, I read only the starred
threads and mark the rest all as read without paying attention.

I have been thinking about filters that scan incoming message bodies for
things I'm interested in / know some about (such as SOAP and various XML
encoders / decoders), but haven't bothered to do that yet.

-Josh

--
"Therefore, send not to know For whom the bell tolls. It tolls for thee."

:: Josh 'G-Funk' McDonald
:: 0437 221 380 :: [EMAIL PROTECTED]