Sent: Saturday, October 01, 2005 5:07 PM
Subject: Re: [Flexradio] Receiver dies 2 min after power-up, ideas?

At 06:09 AM 10/1/2005, Ahti Aintila wrote:
I can confirm Eric's statement. One of our three SDR-1000 systems had this
problem. Cooling down the AD9854 helped temporarily. Then I installed a
bigger heatsink that worked a couple of weeks until the synthesizer got
damaged so badly that it did not work any more with any version of the
PowerSDR software. Amazingly though, with one of our own small test program
it still worked. However, for fully functional tasks of the PowerSDR the
chip had to be replaced.

Thermal damage that results in a partial failure? This brings up an interesting question. Is there some sort of simple diagnostic program or process that could be used to determine if this has occurred?

Did you do any sort of failure analysis on the part that was removed?

73,
Ahti OH2RZ

James Lux, P.E.
Spacecraft Radio Frequency Subsystems Group
Flight Communications Systems Section
4800 Oak Grove Drive
Pasadena CA 91109
tel: (818)354-2075