Rick Markey, KN3C wrote:

[snip]

>  Is
>there a release of software that allows the system to be as reliable as an
>off-the-shelf box, ignoring the performance issue for the moment.  It
>doesn't seem to make sense to have a high performance radio if it doesn't
>work reliably.
>
>de Rick, KN3C

I mostly answered your first question.  In regard to the second, just
download the "mainline" release.  This is currently 1.6.2.  It will be
behind in many features, but I still use it every day and get superb
results, far better than my earlier chronicles indicated, because the
software just. . .keeps. . .getting. . .better.  So much so that I'm
hard pressed to keep up now.

The latest releases are including many enhancments that I (and others)
have suggested, so this radio just keeps getting better.

I've had great luck with the betas, as you could discover if you
troubled to read my whole story from my last note.  But, lately, I've
been settling for the stable releases and doing very well with those
also.  The manuals have also improved, too, by the way.

The biggest issue is simply getting started the first time.  This isn't,
yet, an appliance rig.  The setup takes a bit of work and attention to
detail.  But, you have any troubles, come on in here or Teamspeak and we
can get you going.  That's what I did and it worked great.

Larry  WO0Z