There are, of course, many 12VDC computer systems on the market. They
are especially popular with the "Car computer for gaming" crowd. May I
suggest these resources for info:

Embedded computer examples (pictures)

12VDC computers in all sizes
http://www.logicsupply.com/index.php/cPath/50
http://www.mini-box.com/s.nl/sc.8/category.94/.f
The HPSDR group already has a full USB interface figured out and coded
by Bill KD5TFD for the PowerSDR software. At first Phil VK6APH and Bill
used the Xylo USB interface, but now I believe it is fully implemented
on the Ozymandias board (http://hpsdr.org/ozy.html) on the Atlas
backplane in an FPGA.

de ken n9vv