Ken - N9VV wrote:
> There are, of course, many 12VDC computer systems on the market. They
> are especially popular with the "Car computer for gaming" crowd. May I
> suggest these resources for info:
>
> Embedded computer examples (pictures)
> http://www.linuxdevices.com/articles/AT8498487406.html
> http://www.linuxdevices.com/articles/AT9547755813.html
>
> 12VDC computers in all sizes
> http://www.logicsupply.com/index.php/cPath/50
> http://www.mini-box.com/s.nl/sc.8/category.94/.f
> The HPSDR group already has a full USB interface figured out and coded
> by Bill KD5TFD for the PowerSDR software. At first Phil VK6APH and Bill
> used the Xylo USB interface, but now I believe it is fully implemented
> on the Ozymandias board (http://hpsdr.org/ozy.html) on the Atlas
> backplane in an FPGA.
>
> de ken n9vv

With all the noise problems I'm having now, I for one would not be
interested in putting a PC inside the radio, every trace on that board
is a noise generator. If the PC side and it's power source was
adequately shielded from the radio side then I would consider such a
beast. Unfortunately cheap PC cases and even expensive ones give no
thought to noise radiation.

Many consumer items are that way, you wonder how they get by FCC
acceptance. I have a battery charger that before I get home I can tell
when my son is using it, two houses away from my driveway it starts
wiping out the local AM stations, just a steady roaring sound is all you
hear in our driveway. On the HF bands it's fairly quiet but on the low
bands it's brutal.

--

Cecil
KD5NWA

"Sacred Cows make the best Hamburger!"  Don Seglio Batuna