> 5) Yes, I can watch the "flickering" meter and optically resolve an
> average, or be cognizant of a peak value. I am 73 years old and have the
> eyesight that goes with that so I am not a techie possessing superior
> acutity.
>
> > Grinning all the time.....
>
> Jim, W4ATK

Jim,    I don't know what pills you doctor has prescribed but I want some!
I have a question for you:  When you watch a movie, (30FPPS SMPTE standard
frame rate) can you "resolve" each frame?  I think not, ..  Imagine a
"movie" made of digits, each one different from the last. If I play that
movie to you and asked you to give me an accurate numerical average of the
numbers, could you do that?  That is the job of the computer, to average,
compute and then display to the human operator the result.

I think what has irked me about this discussion, and why I am hanging in
here on it is that it speaks of an interesting feature of the average Joe
Ham.  He is a person that hangs onto the past (even the very brief past of 1
year of software revisions to a GUI), even in the face of an, obviously,
better solution.  Nostalgia is the guiding light for the Ham.  With the SDR
and it's software I have noticed what I will call "selective nostalgia".

I mean, think about it: Here you have a piece of modern computing hardware,
and you are straining your eyes to "average" a fast moving flicker of
numbers on a display. You are going to "die-hard" before you let Dan talk
you into using the computer for the job intended. By golly you are going to
stare your eyes until they fall out of your head before you will have the
programmer change that display!   Why? Well, simple, because that's the way
the display was YESTERDAY, and damned if it going to change TOMORROW! This
seems so odd, in light of the concept of an SDR, but there you have it
anyway.   Some of us are just going to latch onto a "feature" here and there
and stick to it.  Just Hams at work, I guess...

-Da K6KDK