[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> I mean, think about it: Here you have a piece of modern computing hardware,
> and you are straining your eyes to "average" a fast moving flicker of
> numbers on a display. You are going to "die-hard" before you let Dan talk
> you into using the computer for the job intended. By golly you are going to
> stare your eyes until they fall out of your head before you will have the
> programmer change that display!   Why? Well, simple, because that's the way
> the display was YESTERDAY, and damned if it going to change TOMORROW! This
> seems so odd, in light of the concept of an SDR, but there you have it
> anyway.   Some of us are just going to latch onto a "feature" here and there
> and stick to it.  Just Hams at work, I guess...
>
> -Da K6KDK

Is it the refresh rate, the dBm or the fact that other people want to
keep it even if you don't that is getting to you, I wonder?

Personally, I prefer the dBm meter to the S meter and, in fact, given
the wide variation of calibration for different radios have often
thought that the S meter should be banned.  The trouble is that some
people slavishly follow that meter.  I remember that I got a report of
509 once, on 2M CW, from a station.  On asking why '0' signal, he said
that the S meter on his FT290R wasn't moving, so it must be a zero 'S'
report...

I think someone has offered a work round which, hopefully, would remove
the flickering digits from your eye line, but why do you want to remove
the option for others, I wonder?  My idea of banning S meters is very
probably a minority view and people are entitled to keep their S meters,
no matter how inaccurate or calibrated differently from everyone else
they may be.

At least with dBm it should be about the same value from radio to radio,
allowing for the accuracy of the measuring equipment of course.

If it's the flicker that bothers you, maybe someone could offer a
'slugged' output that slows the change down?  I remember going back to
analogue voltmeters because of the fact that the display kept altering
on a digital meter as I looked at it, whilst doing tests on protection
circuits between 132 kV substations, where the resistance of the circuit
was important in calculating what the settings should be.  However, I
know that digital multimeters are very popular with some people.  It's
just a personal choice, I wouldn't try to tell another engineer which
type of meter he should use, just because it didn't suit me.

Dave (G0DJA)