I have this same problem and have been meaning to post about it for some
time.    I notice that the notch filter works reasonably well when a
signal is in the clear, but when it is on top of an SSB signal, the
notch filter is not very effective.  I've been assuming that this
relates to some DSP settings that I need to tweak in order to get this
working better.  It would be a real service if someone who is having
good luck with their notch filter would post the settings that they are
using.

John W2FS