Jerry has brought up an important point. We CW ops believe true QSK
means hearing between dots at high speed. I thought so myself until I
began looking closely at the performance of box-based rigs.

There is an easy calculation that shows why true QSK is difficult:

R/T + T/R - ES = Band Sound

where

R/T is time it takes to mute receiver and begin transmitting
T/R is time it takes to stop transmitting and fully activate
receiving
ES is element spacing

ES is 30ms at 40wpm
ES is 40ms at 30wpm
ES is 60ms at 20wpm

Hit the key. It takes about 10-15ms to get a waveform started.
Release the key. It takes about 15-20ms minimum for T/R turnaround;
most rigs take 30 or more. That means in the best possible case R/T
plus T/R turnaround takes 25ms.

I measured the response of my 950SDX:
R/T = 13ms
T/R = 19ms

That means no Band Sound at 40wpm. I measure 10ms of Band Sound at
30wpm, but subjectively that isn't enough to call useful.

The 950SDX is an old radio, you might say. But if you look at the
ARRL reviews the numbers are equal to or better than newer rigs. So,
what is the rig that can really do QSK? The K3? Maybe, but it's a DSP
rig too.

Send me a tape :)

73 Ed W2RF