Hi Jeff,

I do not have a 5000, but it sounds as if you can set the bias on the PA
transistors with software.  If that is the case, have you checked that
the quiescent current is really what it is supposed to be for the
transistors that are in the PA.  If you have more distortion at lower
drive levels, it sounds as if it could be cross over distortion which
would show up more with less drive.  That is corrected by biasing each
transistor further into class A from class B as you probably already
know.  Since the problem seems to occur only on 5000's that were made
before a certain date, maybe it is in the bias measuring circuitry.

73   Tom   W0IVJ