At 08:50 AM 7/10/2008, you wrote:
>Mike,
>
>In all FlexRadio models, AM is really an amplitude modulated 11 KHz carrier
>that is transmitted in SSB mode on exactly the same hardware signal chain as
>the SSB signals.  In other words, AM is a SSB signal on both the 1000 and
>5000.  AM and SSB are both transmitted the same way from the digital to
>analog converter through the PA stages to the antenna.  There is no hardware
>difference.
>
>Gerald
>

>Gerald Youngblood, K5SDR
>President
>FlexRadio Systems

I'm of the thought that there is an external cause, mainly the power
into the radio. Although the signals are generated through similar
methods and using the same hardware the effect on current drain is
not the same. AM with it's steady carrier power always on limits the
variation on the power demands, SSB on the other hand it can vary the
current drain from the bias point all the way to Full power current
from millisecond to  millisecond.

Maybe I missed it but I have not heard of complains on AM mode with
this issue which again makes me think of excessive voltage variations
due to varying load on the Power source.

Hopefully someone will measure their voltage at the connection to
their radio while running full power on voice SSB. While you are at
it, put a big Ferrite choke and bypass caps on it to keep RF out.

Cecil
K5NWA
www.softrockradio.org  www.qrpradio.com