-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Frank Brickle
Sent: Sunday, July 20, 2008 6:28 PM
To: Brian Lloyd
Cc: flexradio@flex-radio.biz
Subject: Re: [Flexradio] differences between PSK31 demodulators

On Sun, Jul 20, 2008 at 2:36 PM, Brian Lloyd <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> FWIW, my current hypothesis is that there is some high-priority
> process that is part of Windows that is causing a problem...

The way this problem is addressed under Linux is by using the so-called "rt"
version of the kernel, and running the audio subsystem at a higher priority
than typical user processes, even though it's running mostly in user space.
One reason this is possible is that the window system and many critical
system functions also run in user space, even though they might be
essentially owned by the system rather than any individual user. The
consequence is that, even with a monolithic kernel, routine but
high-priority system operations spend a minimal amount of time hogging the
kernel.

What seems to matter most is the order in which tasks at the same
high-priority level are scheduled for service. As long as the audio
subsystem gets scheduled often and gets a chance to do its little bit of
work ahead of things like paging, journal updates, etc., the audio hums
along happily.

In any case, the problem doesn't come up in the Linux world at all, at this
point. We have had zero problems of this sort since adopting the multimedia
configuration guidelines established in UbuntuStudio. Lately I've been
running the FireBox at 192k on a slow laptop with 512M, on a loaded system
that normally fills out 1.5MB swap space, with nary a glitch in days.

73
Frank
AB2KT

--
Travelling by airplane in the US is nothing more than mass training of
Americans to the requirements of the coming police state. The whole point is