On Jul 20, 2008, at 1:29 PM, Jerry Flanders wrote:

> Hmmm. Seems like a recommendation of this sort should have been
> based on engineering considerations, not philosophical ones.
>
> My transmitted RTTY is now 100% garble-free. Is 90-95% good enough
> for everybody else?

I understand Jerry and I agree that if there is no other way to
achieve error-free transmission and reception, your approach is the
right one.

OTOH, I can see no reason that the problem cannot be solved in the
digital domain. As far as I know, there is no basic science or
engineering that demands the intermediate conversion to the analog
domain to solve this problem properly, hence my desire to attack this
problem in the digital domain to see if I can solve it there.

FWIW, my current hypothesis is that there is some high-priority
process that is part of Windows that is causing a problem. My next
attack on the problem will be to remove all unnecessary tasks from the
standard out-of-the-box Windows XP task mix. For example, things like
automatic software updates, NETBIOS, SMB file sharing, etc., are not
necessary and consume resources unnecessarily. I am going to turn all
those "features" off to see what the impact is on performance. I will
post the results of my experiment.

While my background is in software development and while I do have a
lot of experience with real-time, event-driven OS's doing
communications software (I used to design routers), I have no
experience with making Windows work properly so I am shooting in the
dark here. I invite anyone with experience in this area to advise me.

Thank you.

--

73 de Brian, WB6RQN
Brian Lloyd - brian HYPHEN wb6rqn AT lloyd DOT com