On Sep 4, 2008, at 9:08 PM, Dudley Hurry wrote:

> Don,
>
> Using VAC,  you use the VAC TX Gain to regulate your output,  if you
> are
> using the conventional method of physical cables to and from the
> computer sound card,  use the TX gain. (mic gain)  as you would with
> any
> regular radio.
>
> In VAC I used the default values.     I can send you my values if you
> would like.

Normally I would peruse the schematics to try to understand how things
work in a radio. Not being able to do that with the F5K, it would be
nice to understand how signal levels are managed in the transmit chain.

In more traditional SSB radios one has no choice but to control
transmit power level by varying the mic (low-level) gain. Gain
settings for the rest of the stages are fixed. With the Elecraft K2 we
have, I found it works better to optimize the baseband signal level
(audio) and then use the power output control to vary the transmitter
power.

So, how does the F5K work? I would naturally lean toward fixing the
baseband signal level and then use the transmitter power level control
to set the TX power output but now you are saying that we should
manage power using the mic gain.

Brian Lloyd
Granite Bay Montessori School          9330 Sierra College Bl
brian AT gbmontessori DOT com          Roseville, CA 95661
+1.916.367.2131 (voice)                +1.791.912.8170 (fax)

PGP key ID:          12095C52A32A1B6C
PGP key fingerprint: 3B1D BA11 4913 3254 B6E0  CC09 1209 5C52 A32A 1B6C