On 02/12/10 01:52 pm, Neal Campbell wrote:

This is purely an observation so I am not reporting this as pure fact, but
every system that I try to help people with who have unexplained and
intermittent DPC bursts all have Logitech software installed. I am not
stating this is the cause of these events, but I personally find Logitech
software to be so obnoxious and naggy that it would not surprise me at all
if it is a problem. It is constantly calling home to tell you wonderful
things about Logitech and nagging you. My advice, based on observation, not
fact, is to just let Windows find the device driver for your logitech
devices and stay away from Logitech desktop, messenger, control center, etc.
If you are using their webcams, look for free software to provide web
access, etc. They rank above Apple Quicktime as the most unfriendly software
(and that is a tough award to win).

That is interesting. I have a Logitech cordless trackball, but AFAIK I have only generic drivers for it. The other Logitech device is the 3DConnection Space Navigator, which does nothing unless the device-specific software is running. AFAIR, it has notified me of updates only after I have rebooted the machine, but maybe it does "call home" from time to time without my knowledge.

My computer is a home-brew AMD dual-core @ 2GHz on an Asus A8N-E motherboard (nVidia nForce 430 chipset) with 3GB RAM and the Startech FireWire card you recommended -- on its own unshared IRQ. I use AlacrityPC to disable every service and app. that I don't know that I need.

I have a wired network connection.

With nothing but DPCLat running, the DPCs run from approx. 10 to 70. Once I start PB-PAL and DDUtil the DPCs run from approx. 20 to 200 most of the time, but once in a while there will be a spike of as high as 7000 or more. But with the driver running in Safe Mode 1 everything usually continues without having to restart PowerSDR.

Perhaps specific motherboard chipsets give rise to more sever DPCs?

73

Alan NV8A