John,

Guess the biggest reason is that more of the frequency spectrum is displayed in the panadapter rather than just a 3 Khz spectrum in the usual digital waterfall.. Here is one thought, if you change the Sample rate to 48K and then use the 4X you can diffinely see the difference Maybe a Feature Request for a 8X or 16X in the magifier might be in order.. Good thought.

73,
Dudley

WA5QPZ

John Ragle wrote:
Dudley...

As I said in my note, "What controls the /*maximum resolution*/ on the abscissa of the waterfall view?" ... the issue is not that of color [amplitude resolution], it is one of /*frequency*/ resolution.To give you a concrete example, try using the wf view on pSDR to distinguish between Olivia 8/500 and Olivia 16/500...it is not possible. It looks like the FFTs in fldigi or DigiPan are done with at least 8192 points and a resolution of about 1 Hz. I guess the wf display on pSDR is worse than 1/5 or even 1/10 that, e.g. about 5 to 10 Hz, so that the frequency resolution (abscissa) is much poorer. This is very important if one is using the waterfall to distinguish between various types of (particularly e.g. MFSK) signals.

I hope this clarifies what I meant by "muddy." I would like to be able to use the wf on pSDR to help decide just what sort of digital signal I am looking at.

John Ragle -- W1ZI

Dudley Hurry wrote:
John,

Exactly what you mean muddy? You should be able to adjust the "Low Level" gain in the Display tab to have a black or what ever color you want for the background (-120 for example here) and then any signals will show up as dark blue for weak to reds for strong signals.. Remember that this is RF signals not Audio tones as you are displaying in one of the digital programs, so background random noise will show up.

73,
Dudley

WA5QPZ

John Ragle wrote:
What controls the maximum resolution on the abscissa of the waterfall view? I understand about FFTs, sampling rates, etc. but don't understand why the waterfall in pSDR is so muddy compared to, say, FLDIGI or DigiPan, seeing that they are processing the same audio stream with their FFTs. I have played at length with the "Display" controls in Setup without being able to effect any improvement in the pSDR display.

John Ragle -- W1ZI