Having owned a Flex 5000a for 4 months and having researched the radio for several months before that, I have come to the conclusion that Flex radios are NOT for everyone. If you want a plug and play radio, Then look elsewhere. Flex is not a good choice. The frustration level of a Flex is VERY high. You better either have lots of experience in computers OR lots of extra $$$ to spend on a Neal computer.

Flex radios also have a very high appetite for RF getting into the radio. You can always tell a Flex owner, he is the guy at the hamfest carrying a big bag of ferrites.

What to do? Cut your losses and sell the Flex. You will be happier. Flex radios just are not for everyone......

Until Flex starts putting a dedicated computer in each radio at a reasonable price, Flex radios will never be mainstream hamradios.

Stan K9IUQ

Hunter Ellington wrote:
So, here is my rant, or at least plea for help.

 If the radio will not run on an off
the shelf  well equipped machine, what broader application does it have to ham
radio. The cost of a dedicated computer to run the thing makes it far less
appealing from a price/competition perspective.  I know it is heresy, but the
K3 took 30 minutes to configure, and aside from the audio deficiencies as
compared to the 5000A it hears and filters every bit as well.  So, what to do?

Does anyone have suggestions as to how to make this radio function seamlessly, without a computer science degree from MIT? I am all ears.

 WB9NJB R. Hunter Ellington
303-454-0543/720-560-8139
P.O. Box 44
Larkspur, CO 80118