Respecting your opinion Stan, I can only agree with part of what you
said.
Yes, they are probably not for everyone.

However, I do not believe that they are as computer frustrating as you
say.

I have run my Flex radios with a Dell desktop, a MacPro desktop (under
Bootcamp), a MacBook notebook, a Tiger Direct desktop, and an IBM
notebook with no problems.  All I did was add a firewire card and hook
things up.

I will agree that 'computer challenged' hams should probably not try
SDRs.  You do have to have a basic understanding of setting up a
computer.  And there are computers that are not going to work well with
an SDR.  I use a company supplied Dell desktop at work that has DPC
latency so bad it stutters every few seconds playing an mp3 file.  I can
imagine it's lousy performance with an SDR - it would be unusable.  The
worst DPC latency I saw on it was over 300,000.

However, buying a low DPC latency computer added to the cost of a Flex
is still a lot less expensive than a lot of the better transceivers on
the market.  Then you know it is going to perform well.  And a lot
better than those transceivers.

Last comment - if you have a good high performance, low latency computer
you really can use it for everything.  I use both my TigerDirect and my
MacPro for everything.  No problems.  It all depends on the computer.

73
Wayne
K4ELO