Here's an update on my progress:

Per Brett and Gerald, I rewired the Heil Mic cable on the XLR side
distinctly and separately use all three pins of the XLR connector (only 2
were being used and the shield was tied to the Mic negative).   I rewired
the 8 pin side to have both the mic shield and the PTT shield on pin 5.  Mic
pos, Mic neg and PTT on the proper pins per the 5K manual.  The 8 pin
connector cover is not attached to anything.

So far, that seems to have solved the mic audio distortion issue.  I'll be
switching to using the rear panel connection later this week.

As far as RFI, I've temporarily hooked up an MFJ-931 Artificial Ground
(until I can set up a RF suppressor ground in the spring).  That seems to be
working as well.   The RF ground current is showing considerably strong on
the unit's meter.

I will likely put together the "air choke" that Harvey recommended.  Seems
easy to construct and I'd think would lessen the necessary work of the
Artificial Ground.

Many thanks to all who sent suggestions and recommendations.

KK2QQ