On Thu, Mar 3, 2011 at 4:31 PM, Ross Stenberg <ross.stenb...@charter.net>wrote:

> "What we've got here...is (a) failure to communicate"

Perhaps. I certainly see what everyone is saying and everyone is right. It
all depends on what you are looking for.

Clearly there needs to be a limiter function with fast attack and reduction
in gain to keep peaks from exceeding the setpoint. Bob McGwier stated that
the compander function set to one would function as a peak limiter. OTOH it
seems to me that the ALC module in PSDR should do the same thing all the
time independent of any other settings. Gerald suggested that the peak level
of a two-tone test should be +6dB relative to the peak with either tone and
that makes sense since the algebraic sum of the two waves will have a peak
voltage 2x the average (RMS) voltage.

You know, it seems to me that the ALC module should have a clear, "I am
limiting," indication and should have a clear "0dB" output setting that is
not dependent on any other gain setting

--
Brian Lloyd, WB6RQN/J79BPL
3191 Western Dr.