So to make a long story short, I found three things to be true:

(1) My brand-new DSO needs a trip to the cal lab. (big surprise)
(2) My 5000A's transverter *output* appears to be flat to within 1 dB (measured 0.9 dB) from 28-32 mHz
(3) It's too late and tired out to play with the receiver tonight.

So -
Assuming the transverter input holds up as well as the output does, then the 5000A itself will work fine. I also found that with the exception of the old Yaesu "FTV-XXX" (bandswitched) designs and perhaps a few others, transverters are basically designed to cover the CW/SSB/DX parts of the band(s) only. That makes sense, since the more narrow you make the receiver, the better it can be made to perform.

Perhaps two switched helical filters instead of one fixed one?

Interesting exercise, anyway.

73,
Jim N7CXI