So Curtis L. Olson says:
> Wolfram Kuss writes:
>> Is it easy to create a atg2btg converter (I only have btg2atg) or
>> does someone write a btg importer/exporter to plib? If so, then it is
>> completely ok by me.
>>
>> Mostly I don't change the scenery (only add objects via ind file etc)
>> and also I work on this very seldomly, so even if there is no atg2btg
>> and you need to remove the support, then I can live with it.
>>
>> BTW, in my experience developement is easier to do with ascii formats.
>> For example, if your file contains polys with 100s of vertices, you
>> see this at once in an ascii format, but might need hours or days to
>> stumble upon this in a binary format. So I would guess TerraGear etc
>> development would be easier if you keep the ascii, would it not?
>
> We have a tool already that dumps the contents of a binary object file
> into an ascii representation (and I do use it on occasion and it is
> very helpful.) :-)

I would agree with Wolfram, ascii formatted files are a lot easier to
develop with and debug. I also imagine they would be easier for someone
starting out with scenery development, you can just pick up the format
from the files that already exist. And storage space doesn't need to be
huge, these types of "formalized" ascii files compress like crazy.

How about some kind of "compiler" to convert the ascii files to binary?
Then you could do development using the ascii files, but you could limit
FlightGear itself to reading the binary version. Or does something like
this already exist?

Groeten,                                - Jacco

--
Think about it:               | In Real Life: Jacco van Schaik
If the wheel had never been   | Mail me at:   [EMAIL PROTECTED]