On Sun, 2002-03-17 at 09:22, David Megginson wrote:
> Greg Long writes:
>
>  > I might go ahead and give Debian a shot on the install, seems like the
>  > distro of choice, and I have a separate Redhat box (233mhz, don't think
>  > its S3 Virge supports OpenGL, I'd have to look) but I could use that for
>  > testing  Debian seems to be the choice by large, and if it supports
>  > rpm's I might as well muck around with it for a bit.
>
> Debian is a bear to install but a dream to maintain.  While Magic
> Carpet makes it easier than it used to be to pull in security fixes
> and bug patches for a specific version of RedHat, it doesn't help
> upgrading from one version to another.  In Debian, when you're ready
> to move from, say, potato, to woody or sid, you just update the paths
> in /etc/apt/sources.list, then type
>
>   apt-get update
>   apt-get dist-upgrade
>
> To move from one RedHat version to another, I usually had to reformat
> my hard drive.

Which isn't to say that apt-get, dpkg, dselect, et.al. don't have their
own warts.  For example, Red Carpet seems to be good about telling you
what's going on whereas with apt-get, AFAICT, its really hard to find
out why apt-get upgrade won't install something.

That said, however, it does seem to be true that you'll only ever need
to install Debian once on a given system.

> All the best,
>

> David
>
> --
> David Megginson
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Tony Peden
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
We all know Linux is great ... it does infinite loops in 5 seconds.
-- attributed to Linus Torvalds