I've just checked in Jim's latest viewer improvements and I encourage
everyone to update the main source tree and the base package, then try

  fgfs --aircraft=c172-3d

It's still not pretty, but with Jim's improvements, it's usable -- you
can look around easily with the mouse or keyboard.  I just tried my
first end-to-end flight using the 3D C172 cockpit, flying from CYOW to
CYRP.

Alex: the cockpit interior hasn't been made accurate yet (I haven't
used any proper plans or detailed photographs), but how does the
general feel compare with flying in a real C172?  Are the body
reference points where you expect them to be?  Does it feel right?  Is
the propeller filling too much of the front view?  Should I add a cup
holder?

On that note, what a difference the ability to use body reference
points makes!  I'd never been able to nail the turn to final from base
consistently on a visual approach, and I had assumed that I was just
totally incompetent (which I probably am -- keep me away from real
planes).  With the 3D cockpit visible from all viewing angles,
however, I had no problem starting the turn at the right time, turning
the right amount, and ending up perfectly lined up with the runway for
an easy landing.

It's also easier to keep the plane straight and level during climb
with rudder input.  I just put the view direction about 5 or 10 deg to
the left so that I can see more of the horizon, and I find myself
making the adjustments instinctively rather than chasing the gauges.

It was a little harder to find the airport in the first place, though.
I actually managed to get lost briefly, even though I was only a few
km outside Ottawa, just because the view looked so unfamiliar from the
3D cockpit and because parts of it were obscured in lateral view.

All the best,

David

--
David Megginson