Alex Perry wrote:
 > On the 2D panel and the HUD, we already have visual control
 > feedback.  On the 3D panel, we can replace the scale indicators with
 > a moving yoke.

Right, but in both 2D and 3D mode, the panel/HUD isn't guaranteed to
be on the screen.  They both disappear if you move your head far
enough.  In principle, it should always be possible for the pilot to
tell where the controls are regardless of head position.  In a real
aircraft or under joystick control, this is imparted by the feel of
hands and feet on the control devices.  But mouse and keyboard control
doesn't have such a mechanism.

Norman's point was that this used to be implicit in the mouse cursor
position, and it isn't any more.  I tend to agree, although I'd like
to see something like the current control position panel object appear
in the corner of the screen instead, and disappear properly when mouse
control is exited.

Andy

--
Andrew J. Ross                NextBus Information Systems
Senior Software Engineer      Emeryville, CA