David Megginson wrote:
 > Curtis L. Olson writes:
 > > I finally got a chance to try the new 3d cockpit interior and it is
 > > a very good start.  It's pretty awkward trying to fly with the
 > > keyboard and pan the view with the mouse since I'm used to flying
 > > with the mouse.
 >
 > In that case, consider rebinding the arrow keys to pan the view.  That
 > worked well for me (I keep it as a local mod loaded from my .fgfsrc).
 > I'm appending the bindings to the end of this message.

I agree wholeheartedly.  The most intuitive method for controling view
direction is a pan left/right/up/down control.  The mouse control is
excellent for the tutored, but is hardly obvious to someone just
starting with the program.

It would break compatibility, but what are people's thoughts on
replacing the keypad view controls (where each button corresponds to a
45 degree view octant) with a panning system?  The '5' could be used
to re-center the view.  In a virtual cockpit environment (and IMHO
everywhere) having a set of fixed views is an anachronism.  And users
who want a set of fixed views can already get that in a far more
general way with the new view trees in proprties.

A standard hat switch binding would be even better, of course, but
sadly there aren't any standards for hat switches under linux.  The
kernel's input stuff is, frankly, a mess.  My Saitek X45 has four
hats, only one of which maps to axes as documented.  The other three
look like a set of four buttons (which is simpler and better, anyway).

Andy

--
Andrew J. Ross                NextBus Information Systems
Senior Software Engineer      Emeryville, CA