> > This may or may not have anything to do with the jet code, but with
> > the 747-yasim, I cannot slow the plane below about 280kt in level
> > flight at 3000ft ASL with throttles at minimum and full flaps, which
> > makes the plane rather hard to land...
> Legally you shouldn't be up to 280kt at 3000ftASL :-).  If I'm not mistaken
> you really need to get under 220 or so some 15 miles out.  Below 10,000 ft
> slow down to 245 or so (250 is the speed limit) to prepare for an approach.

Actually, he's off the hook, if operating in the USA and subject to FAR 91.117:

(a) Unless otherwise authorized by the Administrator, no person may operate an
aircraft below 10,000 MSL at an indicated airpseed of more than 250 knots.
-> This could be a problem, if he didn't ask for permission first, but ...

(b) Unless otherwise authorized or required by ATC, no person may
operate an aircraft at or below 2,500 feet above the surface within 4
nautical miles of the primary airport of a Class C or Class D airspace
area at an indicated airspeed of more than 200 knots (230 mph.). This
paragraph (b) does not apply to any operations within a Class B airspace
area. Such operations shall comply with paragraph (a) of this section.
-> Irrelevant unless terrain above 500 feet MSL.  In any case, if flying
   a standard approach to a commercial airport, he was probably in Class B
   so the whole paragraph wouldn't apply either.

(c) No person may operate an aircraft in the airspace underlying a
Class B airspace area designated for an airport or in a VFR corridor
designated through such a Class B airspace area, at an indicated
airspeed of more than 200 knots (230 mph).
-> Probably not relevant.

(d) If the minimum safe airspeed for any particular operation is greater than
the maximum speed prescribed in this section, the aircraft may be operated
at that minimum speed.
-> He already said he couldn't make the aircraft fly more slowly. So he's fine.

In any case, assuming the pilot considered being unable to slow the aircraft
to be an emergency situation (I know I would), our favorite FAR 91.3 steps in:

(a) The pilot in command of an aircraft is directly responsible for,
and is the final authority as to, the operation of that aircraft.
-> Unless the simulator is running on Windows, of course 8-)

(b) In an in-flight emergency requiring immediate action, the pilot
in command may deviate from any rule of this part to the extent required
to meet that emergency.
-> He decided to go fast and try to land.

(c) Each pilot in command who deviates from a rule under paragraph (b)
of this section shall, upon the request of the Administrator, send a
written report of that deviation to the Administrator.
-> He did that, and Andy said he'd look into it.

Always fly the simulation as though it's the real thing. 8-)