Andy Ross writes:

>+ This one really annoys me: the AC3D file format apparently doesn't
>  allow you to specify normals explicitly, it wants to calculate them
>  itself.  This works fine for the vertices inside the texture, but
>  texture boundaries show up as sharp edges because the polygons in
>  separate objects don't share their coincident vertices.  Combined
>  with the specular highlight issue, this can look very strange.  Is
>  there a better file format?  I know SSG has a native one.  This
>  sounds great, but I couldn't find an ounce of documentation on it,
>  even in the code that parses it.

Sadly the SSG ASCII File Format only about 80-90% complete
as it was intended as a 'partial debug dump' of the Binary SSG Format
only.  ie it gives the Vertices and Normals of the Leafs but doesn't
do the other nodes.   This could probably be added with a 'bit' of work.

Note that with PPE you can 'Inspect' all of the graph so most of the
code has been written just not 'colated'

Norman